Home : Programs : Postgraduate Degree Programs : Postgraduate Degree in Product Design & Engineering (CP07) - PGPDE
Postgraduate Degree in Product Design & Engineering (CP07) - PGPDE
This is a Master of Engineering program (M.E. Degree).
The program duration is 2 years, with the academic year starting in September and finishing in August.
Who should join the course
This course is for individuals who would like to make a career in Product Design Engineering, New Product Development, Marketing, CAD-CAE.
Students eligible for this program should be B. E. / B. Tech. in Mechanical / Production / Industrial & Production Engineering / Industrial Engineering & Management / Automobile / Mechatronics / Aeronautical Engineering / AMIE / IIIE or equivalent.
Age No bar.
It is strongly recommended that those who opt for the PGPDE program be proficient in sketching, drawing and spatial thinking.
After undergoing this program students are expected to:
- Comprehend the process of product design and new product development
- Generate innovative ideas and concepts for products that will satisfy the needs
- Create 3D models in computers and review the designs
- Evaluate the design for ease of manufacture and assembly
- Be familiar with engineering analysis
- Improve the design to achieve customer satisfaction and business objectives
- Develop skills to make and present virtual or actual concept models, appearance models, mock-up and prototypes
- Be familiar with development of soft tools for batch production of new products
- Be familiar with prototype testing and design solution modifications
- Be familiar with product life cycle management and product data management systems and tools
- Be familiar with design project management systems and tools
Students completing the program will be conversant with the comprehensive design methodology for development of innovative products starting from User survey, Needs analysis, Conceptual design, Embodiment design considering form, function and usability aspects, and Prototyping.
This program offers various career opportunities in the areas of Design of new products, Improvement of existing products, CAD-CAM-CAE, Marketing, R&D engineer, Industrial designer. They can expect to draw a salary ranging from Rs.3.0 to Rs.7.0 lakhs per annum.
The following are the main features of this program:
- Industrial visits
- Talk by experts
- Practical training at school
- Visits to industrial exhibitions and seminars
- Project work, during the fourth semester, at an industrial establishment where the student is likely to continue as an employee, following completion of the course
Scholarship is available.
- US$ 2500/- per semister for Foreign Nationals & NRI category candidates
- Rs. 1,20,000/- per semester for Industry-nominated category candidates
- Rs. 78,000/- per semester for Regular category candidates
On completion of this program, students can look forward to joining organizations developing new products or improving existing products and opportunities in CAD-CAE.
- Creativity & Innovation
- Engineering Drawing and 3D CAD
- Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- GD&T andTolerance Stack Up Analysis
- Elements of Design - I
- Media Investigation & Communication
- New Product Development
- Design of Experiments, Reliability Engineering and Optimization Techniques
- Design Management
- Elements of Design - II
- Human Factors in Product Design
- Studies in Form
- Product Design
- Group Project
- Systematic Innovation
- Detailed Design and Industrial Case Study
- CAE and Rapid Prototyping
- Elasticity, Plasticity and Finite Element Analysis
- Design for Manufacture & Assembly
Equipment used for this program are:
- Rapid prototyping machine
- 3D digitizer
- CNC machines for turning, milling, spark and wire erosion
- Conventional workshop machines like lathe, drilling machine and milling machine
- Injection molding machine
- Power press for stamping
- General Metrology equipment
- Special software for industrial design
We have a highly experienced faculty for imparting technical training under this programme. Also we have guest faculty members from reputed organizations and academia.
Proven Placement Record since start of PG School in 1983
- Department: Product Design & Engineering
- Year Instituted: 1998
- Programme Chief: Dr. N. Ramani / Dr. T. S. Mruthyunjaya