Home : Programs : Postgraduate Degree Programs : Postgraduate Degree in Tool Engineering (CP06) - PGTE
Postgraduate Degree in Tool Engineering (CP06) - PGTE
This is a Master of Engineering program (M.E. Degree).
The program duration is 2 years, with the academic year starting in September and finishing in August.
Who should join the course
This course is for individuals who would like to make a career in Tool Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, CAD-CAM-CAE.
Students eligible for this program should be B. E. / B. Tech. in Mechanical / Production / Industrial & Production / Industrial Engineering & Management / Automobile / Aeronautical Engineering / IIIE or equivalent. Age is no bar.
After undergoing this program the students will be equipped to:
- Design press tools for complex sheet metal components
- Design moulds for plastic components
- Design dies for pressure-die cast components
- Design jigs and fixtures, gauges
- Plan, manufacture and estimate costs of tools, dies and moulds
- Use computers in the design and analysis of tools, moulds and dies
- Try-out tools to eliminate defects and tune the process conditions to achieve quality production
This program helps students in acquiring proficiency in the area of Tool Design; especially in Press Tools for Sheet Metal and Moulds for Plastics, Jigs, Fixtures and Gauges.
This program offers great career opportunities. Students can pursue a career as a Designer of press tools, moulds, jigs & fixtures, die casting dies and as a CAD-CAM-CAE engineer. They can expect to draw a salary ranging from Rs. 3.0 to Rs. 7.0 lakhs per annum.
The following are the main features of this program:
- Industrial visits
- Talk by experts
- Practical training at school
- Visits to industrial exhibitions and seminars
- Project work, during the fourth semester, at an industrial establishment where the student is likely to continue as an employee, following completion of the course
Scholarship is available.
- US$ 2500/- per Semister for Foreign Nationals & NRI category candidates
- Rs. 1,15,000/- per semester for Industry-nominated category candidates
- Rs. 75,000/- per semester for Regular category candidates
After completion of this course students can proceed to a Ph. D. program at Anna university / Bangalore University.
Students, after completion of this program, can look forward to a career in industries employing tooling, such as manufacturing and automotive industries.
- Workshop - I
- Engineering Drawing and 3D CAD
- Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- GD&T and Tolerance Stack Up Analysis
- Press Tools
- Jigs & Fixtures - I
- Workshop - II
- Die Casting Dies
- Inspection & Gauging
- Tool Manufacturing and CAM
- Jigs & Fixtures - II
- Plastic Moulds
- Workshop - III
- Industrial Case Study and Seminar - I
- CAE and Rapid Prototyping
- Elasticity, Plasticity and Finite Element Analysis
- Design for Manufacture & Assembly
- Advanced Moulds & Moldflow
- Advanced Press Tools & Formability Analysis
Equipment used for this program are:
- Rapid prototyping machine
- 3D digitizer
- CNC machines for turning, milling, spark and wire erosion
- Conventional workshop machines like lathe, drilling machine and milling machine
- Injection molding machine
- Power press for stamping
- General Metrology equipment
We have a highly experienced faculty for imparting technical training under this programme. Also we have guest faculty members from reputed organizations and academia.
We are happy to inform that 100% of all students who have successfully completed the programme have been placed.
- Department: Tool Engineering
- Year Instituted: 1983
- Programme Chief: Dr. N. Ramani / Mr. S. V. Natarajan