Home : Programs : Postgraduate Degree Programs : Postgraduate Degree in Tool Engineering (CP06) - PGTE
Postgraduate Degree in Tool Engineering (CP06) - PGTE
This is a Master of Engineering program (M.E. Degree).
The program duration is 2 years, with the academic year starting in September and finishing in August.
Who should join the course
This course is for individuals who would like to make a career in Tool Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, CAD-CAM-CAE.
Students eligible for this program should be B. E. / B. Tech. in Mechanical / Production / Industrial & Production Engineering / Industrial Engineering & Management / Automobile / Mechatronics / Aeronautical Engineering / AMIE / IIIE or equivalent.
Age No bar
After undergoing this program the students will be equipped to:
- Design press tools for complex sheet metal components
- Design moulds for plastic components
- Design dies for pressure-die cast components
- Design jigs and fixtures, gauges
- Plan, manufacture and estimate costs of tools, dies and moulds
- Use computers in the design and analysis of tools, moulds and dies
- Try-out tools to eliminate defects and tune the process conditions to achieve quality production
This program helps students in acquiring proficiency in the area of Tool Design; especially in Press Tools for Sheet Metal and Moulds for Plastics, Jigs, Fixtures and Gauges.
This program offers great career opportunities. Students can pursue a career as a Designer of press tools, moulds, jigs & fixtures, die casting dies and as a CAD-CAM-CAE engineer. They can expect to draw a salary ranging from Rs. 3.0 to Rs. 7.0 lakhs per annum.
The following are the main features of this program:
- Industrial visits
- Talk by experts
- Practical training at school
- Visits to industrial exhibitions and seminars
- Project work, during the fourth semester, at an industrial establishment where the student is likely to continue as an employee, following completion of the course
Scholarship is available.
- US$ 2500 per Semester for Foreign Nationals & NRI category candidates
- Rs. 1,20,000 per semester for Industry-Nominated category candidates
- Rs. 80,000 per semester for Regular category candidates
After completion of this course students can proceed to a Ph. D. program at Anna university / Bangalore University.
Students, after completion of this program, can look forward to a career in industries employing tooling, such as manufacturing and automotive industries.
- Workshop - I
- Engineering Drawing and 3D CAD
- Advanced Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- GD&T and Tolerance Stack Up Analysis
- Press Tools
- Jigs & Fixtures - I
- Workshop - II
- Die Casting Dies
- Inspection & Gauging
- Tool Manufacturing and CAM
- Jigs & Fixtures - II
- Plastic Moulds
- Workshop - III
- Industrial Case Study and Seminar - I
- CAE and Rapid Prototyping
- Elasticity, Plasticity and Finite Element Analysis
- Design for Manufacture & Assembly
- Advanced Moulds & Moldflow
- Advanced Press Tools & Formability Analysis
Equipment used for this program are:
- Rapid prototyping machine
- 3D digitizer
- CNC machines for turning, milling, spark and wire erosion
- Conventional workshop machines like lathe, drilling machine and milling machine
- Injection molding machine
- Power press for stamping
- General Metrology equipment
We have a highly experienced faculty for imparting technical training under this programme. Also we have guest faculty members from reputed organizations and academia.
Proven Placement Record since start of PG School in 1983
- Department: Tool Engineering
- Year Instituted: 1983
- Programme Chief: Mr. Gibson M / Mr. K.G. Krishnamurthy